The Body of Christ & the Local Church
When you became a child of God, you became a member of God’s family, the Church. The church is not defined by a building or a Sunday morning service. The church is a gathered group of believers that love God and each other. The Bible says that every member of the Body is vital and important and we are incomplete without each other. We all need Jesus and we all need the church to fulfill His plans for our lives. JESUS AND THE CHURCH ARE INSEPARABLE.
Read, meditate & discuss the following verses:
· Ephesians 1:22-23. What do these verses tell you about the church?
· Hebrews 10:24-25. What do these verses tell us is God’s will for us regarding being with other believers regularly?
· Ephesians 3:10-11, 20-21. What is God’s purpose for the church?
Meditate on what the Church should look like in our lives & neighborhoods.
· Mutually encourage one another
o 1 Thess. 5:11, 14-15
· Holy Spirit given to others through the laying on of hands.
o 2 Tim. 1:6
o Acts 8:18
o 1 Tim. 4:14
o James 5:14-16
· Help with personal struggles (i.e. marriage problems, sin issues)
o Col. 1:10
o 2 Cor. 1:11
o 1 Thess. 3:10
· Encouragement when dealing with persecutions
o Eph. 3:16
o 2 Thess. 3:2
· Making sure that no one does without
o Acts 6:1-4, 4:32-37
· Praying for the salvation of the people around us
o Eph. 6:19-20
o Col. 4:2-4
· Sharing our faith causes people to understand every good thing they have in Christ.
o Phil. 1:6
Share your experiences of God using the Church to change your life or answer a prayer?
What are some practical ways you can live out what we see in the following passages?
· Acts 2:42-47 (Our Church was founded on this text)
· John 13:34-35
Jesus loves his bride, the church, and He is making her into a radiant bride without blemish. (Eph. 5:22-32) When a person becomes a believer of Christ then they are welcomed into his family. His family is the church. A church is not just a building or a service, but it is a gathered group of believers who worship God. The church helps us to find our role in the body of Christ.
My response this week.
-Continue spending time with God each day.
-Attend church and look for ways to serve.